What is NVivo?
NVivo is a software program used for qualitative and mixed-methods research. Specifically, it is used for the analysis of unstructured text, audio, video, and image data, including (but not limited to) interviews, focus groups, surveys, social media, and journal articles. It is produced by QSR International. As of July 2014, it is available for both Windows and Macintosh operating systems; however, the Macintosh version is missing some of the features that the Windows version has.
Why use NVivo?
- Analyze and organize unstructured text, audio, video, or image data.
- Playback ability for audio and video files, so that interviews can easily be transcribed in NVivo.
- Ability to capture social media data from Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn using the NCapture browser plug-in.
- Import notes and captures from Evernote - great for field research.
- Import citations from EndNote, Mendeley, Zotero, or other bibliographic management software - great for literature reviews.
- User interface and text analysis available in English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese.
What file types are associated with NVivo?
- *.nvp - An NVivo for Windows project file.
- *.nvpx - An NVivo for Mac project file.